What are your suggestions for newcomers to Excel? (from Rahim Zulfiqar Ali)
Great question and thanks so much for asking in today’s Solution Saturday I have heard from many of you over the years that Excel can be quite a large mountain to climb when you are starting out, and many of us get overwhelmed on just how much there is to learn.
- Strong Foundation – You will want to learn the fundamentals and basics of Excel that cover all of the most common formulas and functions of Excel. There are hundreds if not thousands of formulas, so learning them all is nearly impossible so it’s best to just focus on the basics
- What Are Your Goals? – Just learning Excel is not really a goal, so you will want to write down clear goals of WHY you want to learn Excel. Is it to develop reports for your company? Will you be doing freelance work? Do you want to develop Excel Applications? These questions are important, because understanding of where you want to take Excel will help you navigate what
- Be Patient – Sometimes when we can’t figure something out as fast as we want to, we often lose our patient. None of us learned overnight and these things always take time. Learning is a process that should never end. So be patient with yourself and sometimes take a step back or a break before digging in again
- Nobody Knows Everything – There is no person in this world that is an expert on every part of Excel. There are some amazing guru’s for sure, however most of them still have their own strengths and weaknesses. Expecting to become an expert in every part of Excel could be setting yourself up for disappointment.
- Pick Your Niche – This is one of the most important skills you can have. It’s been said that trying to be good at everything means you are great at nothing. I want you to be great at just one thing. For example, if you want amazing pivot table training, a Power BI, or Power Query expert, you would not want to seek my advice. However when you are developing real world applications in Excel, I feel I am one of the best in the world. Pick your niche and be the best at it you can be
I hope these tips help everyone and thanks so much for the opportunity for me to share and the great question Rahim.