Hi my friends in this week’s #SolutionSaturday I discuss an issue that comes up quite often in the freelancing community and that is how do you actually get people to buy from you?
Whether you are selling a product, service, or simply trying to get a full-time job, the ability to get people to buy what you are offering is a critical component of your success. In this Solution’s Saturday we are going to discuss the Know, Like and Trust factors. These are the 3 critical components that must be established before people will confidently buy from you.
I will briefly cover all 3 of these factors and how you can leverage them to reach more people, offer more solutions and gain the wealth you deserve.
- The ‘Know’
Factor – They must know who you are and what you can do. What types of
value and solutions you can provide.
When people know you, and what you can do for them, they will be more
likely to buy from you. So how can we get people to know who we are?
- Facebook – With billions of people now on Facebook, it simply cannot be ignored and having a professional personal profile, fan page, and being an active member of a few targeted Facebook Groups is a critical part of this. While spamming groups with your ads or offers will get you banned right away, providing value, solutions or help to the members will quickly get you noticed for your skills & kindness.
- LinkedIn – This platform is geared towards the professional market and in today’s market, having an up-to-date and active profile on LinkedIn is a must. While Facebook may have the sheet numbers and social following, when a prospective client is looking to hire you for a job or to buy a product from you, LinkedIn is the first place they will look. Staying active and creating a network around your niche market on LinkedIn is great way for people to get to know you, your skills and what you can offer them.
- YouTube – The 2nd biggest search engine in the world, YouTube is by far the best way for you to show off your skills and potentially become well-known. YouTube is the best way for people to actually see the solutions you can bring and the value you offer. Even just a simple video that lasts a few minutes can immediately create that ‘know’ factor around the world.
- Personal Website – A great way for you to display your skills on a platform you control and in a manner you want is with a Websites. With so many free and cheap ways of having your own website, there is really no reason why anyone in the freelance marketplace would not have their own website. Even just a one-page site with a short description of your skills, your background information and a Contact button can go a long way in showing a prospective who you are and what you do.
- Be Active – Some of the people who regularly follow my content make it impossible for me not to know them. They comment on posts in Facebook, in YouTube, and through emails and messages. They make it very difficult for me not to notice them, their skills or the value that they can bring to others. Regardless of your niche, the work you are trying to get or the customers you are after, make yourself known, and do it in a friendly non-intrusive manner. You can only achieve your goals and reach your dreams when you step out of the shadows. When opportunities arise, it is those who are known that are first in line.
- The ‘Like’ Factor – It’s not enough to simply provide solutions and to have people know you. Many people can do this, but can you do it in a way in which people actually like you? If you have an issue, and I fix that for you, but I do it in a way that is rude or unfriendly, I may have solved your problem but you are not likely to buy from me simply because you don’t like me, regardless of how well I solved your problem. We must never underestimate the ‘Like’ factor.
So what do I do to increase my Like factor?
– One great and yet simple way to get people to like you is to show them
genuine appreciation. We all love to be appreciated for our efforts and we want
to be around people who appreciate us. While this seems quite obvious, we often
forget to do the simple things as showing appreciation whenever we can.
- Kindness – Again, just as with Appreciation, kindness is something we all know we should do, but putting this into practice each and every day is putting rocket fuel in our Like Factor. Even when you have to say no I try to do it with as much kindness , empathy and understanding as possible.
- Responsiveness – We all hate to wait for people and yet sometimes it is necessary. A great way to increase your Like factor is to be responsive to people when the need us or message us. Does that mean we can always help them? Certainly not. In fact I get over 100 emails a day requesting for help and in almost every case I am unable to give them the help they are asking for. However I respond to each and every person in less than a day, sometimes within 8 hours. While I am not always able to help them with their requirements, I can certainly see to it they get a proper response. Giving people the respect of a timely response increases respect and you’re like factor tremendously.
- The ‘Trust’
Factor – One if the most important
factors, if not THE most important factor is Trust. Regardless of how well your
potential customers & buyers may know you or like if they don’t trust you,
they will simple not buy from you. Trust
however is a bit harder to control and it involves not only doing the right
things but being patient as well. Some people may trust you the first minute
they meet you, while others may take months or even years to earn your trust.
So the question then becomes, what steps we can take to not only develop trust but to put us in a place where we can earn that trust as quick as possible. Here are a few ways in which we can help develop trust.
- Consistency – A great way to establish trust is consistency. Do what you say you will do and when you will do it and even when it is not absolutely necessary. For example it is not necessary for me to post a training video at exactly 6:15 PM GMT + 7:00 every Tuesday or a Thursday Thoughts at 9:00 PM Every Thursday. I won’t get fired or in trouble if I don’t. But I do it because I want you to know you can count on me, no matter what, to deliver the content when you expect it, each and every week. This helps build trust and hopefully a relationship with the people who enjoy the videos, training and content that I produce
- Social Proof – Another way to build trust is through social proof through things like reviews, testimonials and referrals from friends, family and colleagues. If the people you trust are saying good things about a person or a company, you will tend to trust them as well. The value of Social Proof cannot be underestimated.
- Proof Of Success – great way to build trust quickly is to simply show people the solutions you have created for others. How you have taken their pains and turned them into amazing solutions. This can be done with video, pictures or written blog posts. This type of Proof Of Success goes a long way in building trust with people who are just getting to know you.
While many of us know or have heard of the above ideas, not all of us are putting them into practice. Once you are actually doing these things on a regular and consistent basis, your Know, Like & Trust Factors will go up exponentially. The result of this will be tons more opportunities that come your way to not only earn more, but have a positive impact on many more people than you could have ever imagined.
I hope this Saturday Solutions has helped you and I look forward to creating many more along the way to help you in your journey.
Thanks so much,